About Congregation

About the congregation

We sisters, belong to the congregation of the sisters of St. Charles Borromeo was founded in the year 1684 by one Rev. Fr. Adrien Brezy from the Diocese of Tournai in Belgium. Inspired and witnessed, by the total commitment and dedication of St. Charles, who has worked much for the upliftment of the poor, marginalized downtrodden in his time the founder assimilated him as his patron and christened the congregation in his name. We work in the areas of education, community and rural development, Medical, Pastoral and evangelical ministry. Women and children who hail from lowest rung of the society are our main group of concern.

 All our Apostolic and social ministry revolves around their holistic development. Today we have spread out  our wings and kins in various parts of the Globe. Responding to the call of the then Arch Bishop of Madras - Mylapore, we had come to India in 1929 in Ranipet in Vellore District, the most backward area where our mission was much expected. Today we work under 13 Arch Dioceses and Dioceses in India. About 600 professed Nuns are committed to the cause of the poor and the downtrodden. We run Educational and Technical Institutions, Hospitals and health centres, home for the children, the aged and the socially neglected individuals. In all our activities it is ensured that the faith is portaged and the vulnerable group in empowered.

 ‘St. Charles Society’ is part of the congregation of the sisters of St. Charles Borromeo (SCB). SCB was founded in 1684 by Rev. Fr. Adrian Bresy (Parish Priest of Wez) diocese of Tournai, Belgium, to impart Christian education to the poor children of the Parish. Inspired and witnessed, by the total commitment and dedication of St. Charles, who has worked much for the upliftment of the poor, marginalized downtrodden in his time the founder assimilated him as his patron and christened the congregation in his name. He was chosen as patron of the new-born Congregation because of his zeal for the church, great love for the poor, life of austerity and industriousness and his heroic work of reformation achieved through the weapon of education. Following the footsteps of this holy saint, the Sisters soon came to be known as the Sisters of St. Charles Borromeo. The first missionary sisters from Belgium built their abode at Ranipet in Vellore district in the year 1929. Today we have extended our mission stations to different continents. In India we have about 60 communities spread out from North to South and East to West. We are engaged mostly in educating children. Apart from education, we work in the areas of community and rural development, medical, pastoral and evangelical ministry.

 Women and children who hail from lowest rung of the society are our main group of concern. All our Apostolic and social ministry revolves around their holistic development. Today we have spread out  our wings and kins in various parts of the Globe. Responding to the call of the then Arch Bishop of Madras - Mylapore, we had come to India in 1929 in Ranipet in Vellore District, the most backward area where our mission was much expected. Today we work under 13 Arch Dioceses and Dioceses in India. About 600 professed Nuns are committed to the cause of the poor and the downtrodden. We run Educational and Technical Institutions, Hospitals and health centres, home for the children, the aged and the socially neglected individuals. In all our activities it is ensured that the faith is portaged and the vulnerable group in empowered.

Search